Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Only in Japan

I was standing in front of the Shinagawa Station, waiting for a bus not too far from the traffic light. The light has just turned red when a white Toyota Prius sped to run past it. Immediately I could hear the high pitch of a whistle, and at the same time, I saw a policeman running fast to catch the offender. The Toyota Prius stopped, opened its window, and was directed to the side to be cited.

"Only in Japan," I had titled this entry, because the driver was honest enough to stop after violating that traffic law. Elsewhere in the world, with a police equipped only with two legs, the car would have sped off like a space shuttle breaking out into space.

Only in Japan, too, that perhaps the police was quite fit. Sure, Krispy Kreme Donuts might have invaded Tokyo a few years ago and managed to stay in business with eternally long queue, but I had yet to see an obese police officer in the years that I lived here. It sure is comforting to see your law enforcement officer so fit as not to have a heart attack when he has to run fast and hard like that.

No comments:

Blogs of Bloompy

Related Posts with Thumbnails